Thursday 12 September 2019

End of the Road?

As I've previously mentioned on these pages, I have LEGO Star Wars to thank for rescuing me from my LEGO Dark Ages. Specifically, it was the arrival of 10188 Death Star in 2008 which started my slide down the slippery slope. My wife bought me the set as a Christmas present, and I bet she's regretted that decision ever since....




Following the arrival of 10188 and its construction over the Christmas holidays I was basically hooked. With my passion for both LEGO and Star Wars rekindled I became gripped by a mania of sorts and decided to try and get hold of complete, boxed examples of all of the LEGO Star Wars sets going back to the first appearance of the theme in 1999.




Most of the sets were reasonably easy to find on eBay back then if you were patient, and the majority weren't particularly expensive either. A few, such as 10123 Cloud City with its exclusive Boba Fett minifigure (above) turned out to be harder to track down than most and/or painfully expensive, but they were thankfully in the minority. As chronicled in this old post I also had to make some tricky decisions about exactly what to collect, for instance whether to restrict my growing collection to retail sets alone or whether to also pursue rare promotional items such as the 2012 New York Comic Con model of Luke's Landspeeder below. I eventually opted to focus on collecting the retail sets. Promo sets would be welcomed with open arms when the opportunity arose, but they'd be considered "nice to have" additions rather than a part of the core collection.




As it turned out, however, securing a copy of every retail set to date was only the start of the story. Because while I was picking up old retired Star Wars sets, LEGO was hard at work releasing an ever-increasing number of new sets every year, and after you've invested the time, effort and expense of tracking down the full back catalogue, you feel almost obliged to pick up all the new sets too in order to stay up to date. LEGO released 13 Star Wars sets back in 1999 when the theme first appeared, and 19 sets were released the year I started my collection, so staying up to date wasn't as financially prohibitive back then. The problem is that since then the number of releases has continued to increase to a point where there were 69 LEGO Star Wars releases in 2018. Not all of those were retail sets, granted, but if I'd known how the release schedule would explode over time I might have thought twice about starting to collect the theme back in 2008....




Looking back, even prior to the announcement of the LEGO Star Wars licence extension in February 2012 my enthusiasm was starting to wane, as I confessed in this posting in 2011. Central to my disaffection was the sheer number of remakes of previously-released sets. Many of these remakes, such as 7877 Naboo Starfighter above, were arguably not even a meaningful improvement on previous versions, unless of course you consider an increase in price to be an upgrade. A growing focus on minifigures in Star Wars sets was also becoming a frustration; my love of LEGO is principally founded on the building experience rather than which minifigures a set contains, and it was starting to feel like the build was being included as an afterthought in some sets (for example 7879 Hoth Echo Base below) with the minifigures being the main driver for the release.




And yet despite my misgivings I've continued to dutifully pick up all of the LEGO Star Wars retail offerings year after year up to and including 2018, and I've also made a start on the 2019 sets. The thing is, however, it's felt like a particular slog this year, with relatively few sets really getting me excited. And so it is that with no end in sight to the annual tidal wave of Star Wars sets I've finally made the decision to stop collecting them. It stops right now, so no 75235 X-wing Starfighter Trench Run (below) for me....




Obviously this decision has been a long time coming. While there hasn't been anything in particular that has finally forced my hand, my previous complaints about the number of remakes and preponderance of minifigure-focused sets are as relevant as ever this year. To that you can add my lack of enthusiasm for the increased number of sets aimed at younger children, particularly the 4+ and Microfighters offerings, and the prevalence of sets such as 75235 above and 75237 TIE Fighter Attack below which feature crude, basic builds. All things considered, there seem to be fewer and fewer Star Wars sets of interest to me this year, so it's time to see sense and call a halt to this expensive and space-occupying obsession.




Before anybody points out the obvious, namely that I'm no longer the target audience for LEGO Star Wars, let me be clear that I'm not criticising LEGO for their continuation of the theme. While I have concerns about the way that the company does things sometimes, for instance lining the pockets of scalpers by releasing hard-to-find promo items as discussed here and here, Star Wars continues to be an extremely popular and successful product line for the company, so you can hardly blame them for continuing to pump out sets year after year. After all, youngsters are discovering the Star Wars universe for the first time every day, and the remakes of classic vehicles are serving their needs. Furthermore, LEGO can hardly be faulted for the disappointing and uninspired vehicle designs which populate the newer Star Wars movies and series'.




While my unhealthy need to collect all the Star Wars sets is now hopefully over, I do still anticipate picking up some of the Star Wars offerings. There's a good chance that I'll continue to acquire the UCS sets, for instance - the soon-to-be-released Imperial Star Destroyer above will surely be impossible to resist - and any sets featuring genuinely interesting new vehicles from the Star Wars universe (assuming we actually get some) will also be fair game. I might even be tempted by the occasional remake, providing that it genuinely offers something over and above previous iterations other than just a higher purchase price. What I won't be doing, however, is just buying Star Wars sets to keep my collection 100% up to date, and that thought fills me with relief. I really should have made this decision years ago.

4 comments:

  1. Great article. I started collecting in 1999, with my old star wars site yakface.com. I did however, collect all items, including the exclusives. My decision to completely cut back came in 2015. I have recently sold off a majority of the old sets. I opted instead to focus on the good sets that come out now, that were not produced before. Even still, I basically kept to the UCS and the original trilogy. I did not get the updated versions on most, I went with the original, sans a few good upgrades. I have the original UCS Falcon, Y-Wing, Death Star, Star Destroyer, I upgraded the X-Wing and cloud city. I have the smaller versions of the ships that are not UCS like the A-Wing and some other classics. I refuse to buy all of these new sets unless they offer me something that I think would look good in the collection. And I still have most of the exclusives, but even those I have started to sell if I didnt think it fit. So if you are looking for a way to keep the passion going, this about downsizing and collecting only what you like. I still love getting sets that are new to the series or offer a significant boost to the original, I still mainly with the original trilogy, and the mini ships like the Luke and Landspeeder you posted above. However, even with those, it is the original trilogy.
    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting - sounds like my future Star Wars acquisitions are likely to be similar to yours, although I find it hard to part with LEGO so probably won't be selling anything.

      Delete
  2. A lot of us long time collectors have similar thoughts it seems Dave, I've noticed similar sentiments on Facebook groups I'm part of. I came out of my Dark Ages in 2004, and around 2008 I was buying every single model they released, and back filling ones I wanted, but have also taken a look at this years offerings and not been that interested. Part of it I believe is also that the Last Jedi movie was so atrocious, that its actually killed off my excitement for Star Wars in general. I think this will be the first Star Wars movie ever that I simply wait for and watch it at home instead of seeing at the movies.

    The sets that were released for Rogue One were IMO brilliant, and I got every one, I also got all the Solo sets as I really enjoyed the film and the sets were different enough to be interesting for me.

    I'll continue getting the UCS/Master Builder sets, but have actually focused my Lego budget elsewhere, as I'm genuinely excited by other themes these days - Ideas, the Disney D2Cs, Harry Potter, Creator (modular and theme park sets) and other D2C sets like the Jurassic T-Rex set all still keep that excitement and Lego flame burning for me. Even though my Star Wars budget has been severely reduced, my overall Lego spending has kept increasing thanks to these other lines - so its not such a bad outcome for Lego.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats for the good move. I have personnaly built a good collection of classic space models, but I stayed away from the tiny sets, and have been very patient to get them at a reasonnable price (e.g. 6932 at 17 euros, got a spare 918 at 20e...). Also I get a SW set from time to time, only when I like them. I do not want to encourage the speculation frenzy. I read a good article about that: never buy a set at an exagerated asking prize, just be patient and the good time will come. I found this to be true, and it allowed me to appreciate more fully what I got. All my best wishes. Like your posts.

    ReplyDelete